The San Francisco 49ers return from their bye this week, hosting the St. Louis Rams at 1:05 p.m. PT on Sunday. The 49ers have won the last three games between these two teams, and are 5-1-1 against the Rams since Jim Harbaugh came to town.
I actually was in attendance for the tie game. I was up in the press box at Candlestick Park, and we all made our way down to the field for the final few minutes of regulation. You had to do that at Candlestick to get over to the locker room across the field when the game wrapped. I got down there with a few minutes left in the fourth quarter, and then we spent overtime waiting for a winner. When the game ended, players wandered onto the field and there was some general confusion. People know ties can happen, but when it actually does happen, it leaves one feeling a little dazed and not sure what to make of it. After the game, even Jim Harbaugh was sort of happy and displeased all at once.
That 2012 season saw the 49ers tie the Rams at Candlestick, and then later beat them by a field goal in overtime in St. Louis. In the three matchups since then, the 49ers have won 35-11, 23-13 and 31-17. They are a double digit favorite for Sunday, ranging between -10 and -11. We'll see if they can cover that this time around.
Series Record: 49ers lead series 65-62-3
49ers Home Record vs. Rams: 49ers lead series 32-31-2
First Meeting: 10/1/50, Rams win 35-14, at SF
Last Meeting: 10/13/14, 49ers win 31-17, at SL
Current Streak: Won 3
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 17 (12/17/90 - 12/27/98)
Longest Rams Win Streak: 10 (11/29/70 - 9/28/75)
Most 49ers Points: 48 (12/27/87): 49ers win 48-0, at SF
Most Rams Points: 56 (11/9/58): Rams win 56-7, at LA
49ers Shutouts: 8 (Last 12/4/11), 49ers win 26-0, at SF
Rams Shutouts: None
WR Anquan Boldin
In 16 career games against StL, he has totaled 104 receptions for 1,420 yards and 8 TDs.
As a member of the Arizona Cardinals, he had 6 receptions for a team-high 123 yards and 2 TDs at StL (11/23/03).
Has 6 career 100-yard games against StL in his career, his most against any team.
CB Tramaine Brock
- Late in the 4th quarter vs. StL (11/11/12), he stripped the ball from Rams RB Isaiah Pead on a kickoff return, marking his first-career FF. The loose ball was scooped up by S Darcel McBath. On the ensuing play, RB Frank Gore scored on a 20-yard TD run.
LB Ahmad Brooks
Recorded 1.5 sacks and tied for a team-high 9 tackles at StL (9/26/13).
Brought down Rams QB Austin Davis for 2.0 sacks at StL (10/13/14).
TE Vernon Davis
Recorded his 100th career reception at StL (12/21/08 - 17 yard pass from QB Shaun Hill).
Tied the then NFL record for TD receptions by a TE (13) in a single season at StL (1/3/10). Davis' career-long 73-yard TD reception in the 4th quarter tied TE Antonio Gates' record from 2004.
RB Frank Gore
Ranks 1st in NFL history with 14 rushing TD against StL.
In 16 games vs. StL, he has rushed for 1,229 yards and 15 TDs on 285 carries, including posting 5, 100-yard games.
His 15 rushing TDs vs. StL are his most against any team in the NFL.
Passed 49ers and Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Perry (7,344) for most rushing yards in franchise history vs. StL (12/4/11). Gore broke the record on a 2-yard run in the 2nd quarter and finished the day with 73 yards on 21 carries.
Had 20 carries for 153 yards and 1 TD at StL (9/26/13).
DT Tony Jerod-Eddie
- Recorded his first career fumble recovery at StL (9/26/13). The takeaway led to a 1-yard TD run by RB Anthony Davis two plays later.
CB Dontae Johnson
- Recorded his first career INT and first career TD, intercepting a Rams QB Austin Davis pass and taking it 20 yards to the end zone at StL (10/13/14).
QB Colin Kaepernick
- Completed 21 of 32 pass atts. for 208 yards and rushed for 84 yards on 9 carries at StL (12/2/12).
- Recorded a passer rating of 111.5 by completing 19 of 28 pass atts. for 275 yards and 1 TD vs. StL (12/1/13).
- Threw for 343 yards, 3 TDs and a QB rating of 123.9 on ESPN's Mon- day Night Football at StL (10/13/14).
P Andy Lee
- Notched a single-game career-high 5 punts downed inside the 20-yard line vs. StL (10/4/09).
- Hit 5 punts for 284 yards (56.8 avg.), including a net of 51.4 and 2 punts downed inside the 20-yard line at StL (1/1/12).
- Punted 7 times for a net avg. of 52.0 yards and dropped 2 punts inside the 20-yard line at StL (9/26/13).
WR Brandon Lloyd
- In 10 career games against the Rams, has totaled 17 receptions for 369 yards and 7 TDs.
- Caught his first career TD reception vs. StL 11/2/03.
- Had an 80-yard TD reception at StL (10/13/14). It marked the first pass play of 80-or-more yards by the 49ers since Lloyd's 89-yd TD reception from QB Tim Rattay vs. Dal (9/25/05).
DT Ray McDonald
- Recorded his first career FR and returned it 11 yards to the end zone for his first career TD vs. StL (10/4/09).
- Registered his first career FF after taking down Rams QB A.J. Fee- ley vs. StL (12/4/11).
LB Dan Skuta
- Registered 2.0 sacks and 1 FF on Rams QB Austin Davis, marking his first career multi-sack game.
DT Justin Smith
- Accumulated a career-high 3.5 sacks on QB Keith Null at StL in the 2009 season finale (1/3/10).
LB Patrick Willis
Recorded his 2nd career INT return for a TD, returning a QB Kyle Boller pass 23 yards for a score, while posting a career-high 2.5 sacks to go along with 11 tackles vs. StL (10/4/09). He became the first player in franchise history, and just the third player in the NFL since the sack became an official statistic in 1982, to tally at least 2.5 sacks and an INT return for a TD in the same game.
While wearing a cast on his hand, registered a sack and FF at StL (12/26/10), taking down QB Sam Bradford.
|49ERS (rank)||RAMS (rank)|
|4-3 (t-2nd NFCW)||Record||2-5 (4th NFCW)|
|22.6 (19th)||Points per game||19.4 (26th)|
|357.4 (11th)||Total Offense||336.4 (22nd)|
|125.1 (10th)||Rushing Offense||102.3 (19th)|
|232.3 (20th)||Passing Offense||234.1 (20th)|
|33:24 (2nd)||Possession Avg||30:25 (9th)|
|23.6 (18th)||Points allowed/gm||30.0 (31st)|
|306.0 (2nd)||Total Defense||376.4 (20th)|
|84.9 (4th)||Rushing Defense||144.7 (31st)|
|221.1 (8th)||Passing Defense||231.7 (11th)|
|12 (t-23rd)||Sacks||6 (32nd)|
|45.9 (11th)||Punting Avg (Gross)||45.0 (16th)|
|+4 (t-6th)||Turnover Differential||-3 (t-24th)|