It's official, you can blame me for the San Francisco 49ers loss to the Chicago Bears. Last week, for the first time in a long time, I forgot to post the Prospector's Guide. We're not providing mind-blowing information with this, but it has become a tradition, and it seems clear that my failure to post it last week cost the 49ers the game.
Well, we're back for the rest of the season. This week the 49ers are traveling to Glendale to face the Arizona Cardinals. Arizona is hosting the Super Bowl this year, so I think it is reasonable for the 49ers to get used to the accommodations again!
The 49ers and Cardinals do not have anywhere near the intense rivalry of 49ers-Seahawks, but at times it has been pretty solid. It has been one-sided in recent years, with the 49ers having won 9 of 10. Since the two teams joined up in the NFC West, the 49ers are 16-8. The Cardinals swept the series in 2005, 2006, and 2008, but for the most part, the 49ers have come out on top.
The Cardinals finished right behind San Francisco and Seattle last season, and they are off to a strong start this season. We'll see if they can stay ahead of the pack, or if they slip at some point.
On to the random information you crave!
Series Record: 49ers lead series 28-17
49ers Away Record vs. Cardinals: 49ers lead series 12-9
First Meeting: 11/18/51, Cardinals win 27-21, at SF*
Last Meeting: 12/29/13, 49ers win 23-20, at Arz.
Current Streak: Won 4
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 5 - 3 times (Last 9/13/09 - 11/20/11)
Longest Cardinals Win Streak: 4 - 2 times (Last 10/2/05 - 12/24/06)
Most 49ers Points: 56 (10/18/92): 49ers win 56-17, at SF
Most Cardinals Points: 34 - 2 times, (Last 9/10/06): Cardinals win 34-27, at Arz.
49ers Shutouts: None
Cardinals Shutouts: None
S ANTOINE BETHEA
- As a member of the Indianapolis Colts, recorded 1 INT and 1 FR at Arz. on 9/27/13. It marked the 8th INT and 2nd FR of his career.
WR ANQUAN BOLDIN
- Registered game highs in receptions (9) and receiving yards (149) with 1 TD in his first return to Arz. (12/29/13). He tallied 6 receptions for 106 yards and 1 TD in just the 1st qtr., marking the third time in his career that he notched 100-or-more yards in a qtr. [134 at Det. (9/7/03 - 3rd qtr.); 117 vs. Arz. (10/30/11 - 3rd qtr.)].
LB AHMAD BROOKS
Set single-game career-highs in sacks (3 - QB Kurt Warner) and FFs (2) vs. Arz. (12/14/09).
Brought down QB Richard Bartel on the final series of the game vs. Arz. (1/2/11) for his 5th sack of the season. Also registered his first career INT, picking off Cardinals QB John Skelton and returning it 32 yards to the Cardinals 8-yard line, setting up a TD.
TE VERNON DAVIS
In 16 career games vs. Arz., has 811 receiving yards and 9 TDs on 54 receptions
Made NFL debut and first career start at Arz. (9/10/06), hauling in a 31-yard TD reception on his first NFL catch.
Recorded 8 receptions for a game-high 180 yards and 2 TDs vs. Arz. (10/13/13), marking his 7th career game with 2-or-more receiving TDs.
K PHIL DAWSON
Successfully converted all 3 FG attempts and all 5 XP attempts in a 44-6 win vs. Arz. (11/16/03), as a member of the Cleveland Browns.
Made 3 of 4 FG attempts at Arz. (12/29/13), including the game-winning FG as time expired.
RB FRANK GORE
- In 17 games against Arz., he has rushed for 1,177 yards and 12 TDs on 271 carries, while adding 42 receptions for 383 yards and 1 TD.
- Named NFC Offensive Player of the Week after having one of his best outings at Arz. (11/25/07), rushing for 116 yards and 2 TDs on 21 carries and recording 11 receptions and 98 receiving yards in a 37-31 OT win.
- In the regular season finale vs. Arz. (12/30/12), he notched his 51st career rushing TD, surpassing HOF RB Joe Perry (50) and RB Roger Craig (50) for the most rushing TDs in franchise history.
- Recorded 25 carries for 101 yards vs. Arz. (10/13/13), marking his 34th career game with 100-or-more rushing yards
QB COLIN KAEPERNICK
- Threw for 276 yards and 2 TDs vs. Arz. (12/30/12). He finished the game with a 114.6 QB rating, his second highest total of the 2012 season [133.1 vs. Chi. (11/19/12)].
LB COREY LEMONIER
- Registered 3 tackles, 1.0 sack for a safety, and 1 FF vs. Arz. (10/13/13). The fumble was recovered by LB NaVorro Bowman and led to a 44-yard FG by K Phil Dawson.
WR BRANDON LLOYD
- Recorded 7 receptions for 102 yards at Arz. (10/2/05). It marked his second career game with 100+ receiving yards after tallying 142 yards vs. Dal. the week prior.
S ERIC REID
- Intercepted a pass by QB Carson Palmer and returned the pick 53 yards to set up a 35-yard FG by K Phil Dawson vs. Arz. (10/13/13). Also, recovered a fumble by WR Larry Fitzgerald, which led to a 6-yard TD run by RB Kendall Hunter.
DT JUSTIN SMITH
- Made 49ers debut vs. Arz. (9/7/08) and had 8 tackles and 1 sack.
- Tallied 1 sack, 1 FF, 13 QB pressures and 9 hits on QB Kurt Warner at Arz. (9/13/09). The sack and FF came as time expired to seal the victory.
- Registered 3.0 sacks vs. Arz. (1/2/11).
LB PATRICK WILLIS
In 12 career games vs. Arz., he has recorded 105 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 4 FFs and 9 PDs.
Made his NFL debut and first-career start vs. Arz. (9/10/07) on Monday Night Football and recorded 15 total tackles.
Registered his first-career FF vs. Arz. (9/10/07) by stripping RB Edgerrin James.
Picked off Cardinals QB John Skelton in the 1st qtr. vs. Arz. (11/20/11). He also registered 3 PDs and a FF after stripping RB Beanie Wells.
Recorded 8 tackles and forced a fumble by WR Larry Fitzgerald vs. Arz. (10/13/13). The loose ball was recovered by S Eric Reid and led to a 6-yard TD run by RB Kendall Hunter.
|49ERS (rank)||CARDINALS (rank)|
|1-1 (2nd NFCW)||Record||2-0 (1st NFCW)|
|24.0 (t-9th)||Points per game||21.5 (t-18th)|
|340.0 (16th)||Total Offense||334.5 (18th)|
|128.0 (12th)||Rushing Offense||116.5 (18th)|
|212.0 (19th)||Passing Offense||218.0 (17th)|
|31:14 (12th)||Possession Avg||29:40 (16th)|
|22.5 (t-18th)||Points allowed/gm||15.5 (7th)|
|299.0 (6th)||Total Defense||315.5 (10th)|
|86.5 (7th)||Rushing Defense||66.5 (3rd)|
|212.5 (14th)||Passing Defense||249.0 (22nd)|
|4 (t-16th)||Sacks||2 (t-26th)|
|47.4 (6th)||Punting Avg (Gross)||42.4 (23rd)|
|0 (t-14th)||Turnover Differential||+3 (t-6th)|