The San Francisco 49ers open up their offseason workout program on Tuesday, which means we have the first real formal step toward the 2015 season. Free agency is a significant benchmark on the timeline, but the offseason workout program is the first time the team is back together on the field.
The 49ers return to Santa Clara means position battles will start to heat up, and we will start to get a better handle on where this team is situated heading into training camp and the preseason. We don't get much in the way of answers, but we start to get some hints.
Matt Maiocco put together his top 5 storylines for the 49ers as the offseason program gets going. You can read the article for the details, but the five were:
1. Differences in Jim Tomsula as head coach
2. Colin Kaepernick's mechanics
3. Cornerback competition
4. Vernon Davis
5. Guard and center competition
These are five notable storylines, but there are plenty more of note. I'll list out a few, but feel free to drop your own in the comments.
6. Running back: How does Carlos Hyde develop as "the guy"? What kind of recovery does Kendall Hunter make from his torn ACL? Does Reggie Bush have anything left in the tank?
7. Wide receiver: Who will emerge after Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith? The 49ers draft plans will probably impact this.
8. Inside linebacker: Will Michael Wilhoite hold down the ILB job? The 49ers draft plans could impact this.
9. Outside linebacker: How does Aaron Lynch vs. Ahmad Brooks shake out?
10. Defensive line: Where will Quinton Dial and Tank Carradine fit into the rotation? Will Justin Smith show up for the program?
11. Returner: Is this all Bruce Ellington, or will Jarryd Hayne or somebody else emerge?
These are not all the position competitions, but it covers a lot of them. What other storylines, be they position competitions or otherwise, do you eagerly anticipate heading into the workout program?