The 2015 NN community mock draft continues along. The draft is 22 days away, and since we are going with three rounds in our mock draft, I am occasionally going to bump up the number of picks in a given day. Today, we add in the Steelers, Lions and Cardinals.
Here are the first 21 picks:
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
2. Tennessee Titans - Leonard Williams, DT, USC
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Dante Fowler, Jr., OLB/DE, Florida
4. Oakland Raiders - Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
5. Washington - Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
6. New York Jets - Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
7. Chicago Bears - Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
8. Atlanta Falcons - Shane Ray, DE/OLB, Missouri
9. New York Giants - Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska
10. St. Louis Rams - Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
11. Minnesota Vikings - Landon Collins, S, Alabama
12. Cleveland Browns - Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
13. New Orleans Saints - Alvin Dupree, OLB, Kentucky
14. Miami Dolphins - DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
15. San Francisco 49ers - La'el Collins, OG, LSU
16. Houston Texans - Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon
17. San Diego Chargers - Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
18. Kansas City Chiefs - Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
19. Cleveland Browns - Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington
20. Philadelphia Eagles - Jalen Collins, LB, LSU
21. Cincinnati Bengals - Malcom Brown, DT, Texas
With the 22nd pick of the NN community mock draft, albert.55 and the Pittsburgh Steelers select...Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
Alternates: Kevin Johnson, Eddie Goldman, Maxx Williams
The top 3 needs for the steelers revolve around the corner back, defensive line, and outside linebacker.The consensus biggest need for the Steelers seems to be CB and it is the correct choice. I'm shocked that Peters was sitting there waiting considering I didn't consider that he'd be at their spot. Peters is the most physical and athletic of the cornerbacks. When he tackles he wants to scare you into either dropping the ball or make mistakes so that he can disrupt your offense.
The two biggest pitfalls for him are the questions he has to answer about the problems he had with with coaches which I believe won't be a problem if he goes to the Steelers considering they have a Superbowl winning coach and and that he can be to aggressive which might be turned into penalties.
With the 23rd pick of the NN community mock draft, Hashtag Mafioso and the Detroit Lions select...Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami
Alternates: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford; DJ Humphries, OT, Florida
This mock draft has fallen almost perfectly for Detroit, as they are in desperate need of OL help - mainly at RT and LG. These are two areas that 100% need to be addressed in this draft, and a trio of great options has fallen into the lap of the Lions at 23. This was actually somewhat of a tough decision, as Flowers looks to be the part of a dominating RT, but with Peat they could slide Reiff over to RT if they think that Peat at LT gives them the better tackle combination. Humphries is right there too, so ultimately it came down to the question marks. Flowers has a question mark against the very small, quick, athletic speed rushers. Peat has a question mark regarding his toughness and demeanor - he doesn't seem to have that nasty mean streak that teams value at OL - plus he plays too high too often. Humphries has question marks about his health/injury history and consistency.
Ultimately picking the player who is more of a huge run mauler vs a lock-down pass protector was a tough choice for a Detroit team that wants to air it out more than they want to pound the rock, but I believe that, on the right side, the deficiency in the game of Flowers is pretty minor and don't have enough confidence in Peat or Humphries (or Fisher or Clemmings, for that matter) to go elsewhere. Plus even for a more pass-oriented team, having a tackle that can hold his own and then some in the run game is still extremely important.
In evaluating Flowers, we see a prospect who is a monster of a man, but still has the athleticism and length needed to succeed and even thrive in the NFL. He is a high floor, medium ceiling kind of player, and the Lions will be very happy to be able to grab a sorely-needed addition to their OL.
With the 24th pick of the NN community mock draft, Szady and the Arizona Cardinals select...Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
The Cardinals had struggles finding a 3 down back last season. Andre Ellington is quite the receiving back but yielded a low YPC pounding the rock.Other team needs include DE, CB.
CB Trae Waynes would be my best runner-up. According to the Internet, the past two seasons the Cardinals have drafted BPA, but i think Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon could be a good player and fulfill a need for them.