So many things have changed about the 49ers for this season. Let's take a look at a few of them.
- new offensive coordinator/scheme - how Geep Chryst runs his O is not known to us yet, even though Baalke has already made his opinion known to all with the "we're going to run the football" comment. I guess the key here is what type of running are we going to see. What will the RB rotation look like? Will there be more designed runs for Colin Kaepernick? Will the read-option and play-action still be around? It will also be interesting to see how much of a factor the revamped receiving core and Steve Logan figure into the passing game. Will they stick with the West Coast foundation or will we be seeing more of a Ravens/Flacco type run much and throw deep combo?
- new defensive coordinator/scheme - Eric Mangini was the biggest surprise hiring on this staff. He doesn't really have a great track record as a DC (in my opinion). Word is getting out now though that the Niners will be employing more deception in their looks instead of the vanilla scheme that Vic Fangio was so successful with
- new deep threat - Torrey Smith was the big acquisition in free agency this year and gives Kap his first true reliable deep threat (apart from 2013 Vernon Davis). Hopefully he will gel well with Colin and allow Anquan Boldin to do what he does best with less double coverage.
- new alternate uniforms - although the black looks cool, the idea for this came from Kap's non-contact practice jersey the previous off-seasons. I see this as more of scheme to sell merchandise to fans.
- new starters - like it or not, this team has a lot of turnover in their starting lineup including RB, WR, CB, DL, ILB and OG. How the next man up fills in the shoes of those who have gone will be a big focus this season. We will no doubt have a few disappointments balanced by surprise performances.
San Francisco 49ers in need of new identity (Today's Pigskin)
49ers Twitter mailbag: Punter in fifth round? (Gutierrez)
Eager Bush aims for positive returns (SF Examiner)