With just about two weeks to go before the season opener, there are still many decisions to be made about the 49ers 53 man roster and new issues continue to crop up. Here are some of the things we're looking at:
- The biggest is the LB position which has been depleted by the retirements of Willis and Borland and the legal troubles of Aldon Smith and now Ahmad Brooks. Brooks is effectively in "exile" while the city, league, and team officials sort it out.
- The No.3 receiver position is still up for grabs. It looks like Bruce Ellington has the inside track with his performance in the 3rd preseason game, but the bigger question is: will his health hold up enough for him to be able to take it?
- Jarryd Hayne has pretty much convinced the fans that he deserves a roster spot and if any hint can be taken from Jim Tomsula's statements, it looks like the coaching staff is convinced too.
- The offense has looked very lackluster in pre-season, but neither Colin Kaepernick or his coach seem to be concerned because they have not gone all in yet on what they would normally do in the season.
- The offensive line...ouch.
San Francisco 49ers: Lack of offense concerning in preseason (NFL Spin Zone)
Kickers shine in 49ers' third preseason game (SF Chronicle)