Welcome back to football! The San Francisco 49ers kick off their 2015 season in just a few days when they host the Minnesota Vikings on Monday Night Football. The start of the season means we are back with the weekly Prospector's Guide.
For those that are new to the site, the "prospector's guide" is something first started here in 2008. You can check out the very first one way back when. It's a very basic intro to the game with an introduction, series highlights, notable performances by 49ers against that week's opponent, and a statistical comparison. The stats comparison is kind of outdated to some extent, as it focuses primarily on counting stats. But it's fun, and we get to advanced stats in other posts during the week.
The 49ers and Vikings actually have a fairly extensive history against each other. They are dead even historically, at 22-22-1 in the regular season, with the Vikings claiming the last three games. The last Vikings win saw Kyle Rudolph have a big game in a 24-13 victory in 2012. The previous loss was the Brett Favre Hail Mary. Not exactly fun history!
On to the random information you crave!
Series Record: Series is tied 22-22-1
49ers Home Record vs. Vikings: 49ers lead series 13-8-1
First Meeting: 10/15/61, 49ers win 38-24, at Min.
Last Meeting: 9/23/12, Vikings win 24-13, at Min.
Current Streak: Lost 3
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 4 - 2 times (Last 10/30/88 - 12/30/90)
Longest Vikings Win Streak: 5 (9/15/63 - 10/24/65)
Most 49ers Points: 51 (12/8/84): 49ers win 51-7, at SF
Most Vikings Points: 45 (9/29/63): Vikings win 45-14, at Min.
49ers Shutouts: None
Vikings Shutouts: None
S Antoine Bethea
- In 2 career games vs. Min., recorded 13 tackles and 1 PD.
WR Anquan Boldin
- As a member of the Arizona Cardinals, registered 98 yards and 2 TD on 7 receptions vs. Min. (12/6/09).
- Recorded 140 yards and 1 TD on 9 receptions at Min. (11/26/06) with the Cardinals.
LB NaVorro Bowman
- Recorded a game-high 17 tackles at Min. (9/23/12).
RB Reggie Bush
- In 5 career games vs. Min., rushed for 172 yards on 52 attempts while adding 241 yards and 2 TDs on 22 receptions
- As a member of the Detroit Lions, recorded 90 yards on 21 rushing attempts and 4 receptions for 101 yards and 1 TD vs. Min. (9/8/13). His 77-yd. TD reception that game is the longest of his career.
TE Vernon Davis
- Registered 7 receptions for 96 yards and 2 TDs at Min. (9/27/09), marking his first-career multi-TD game.
- Recorded 5 receptions for 53 yards and 1 TD at Min. (9/23/12).
2015 Preseason Statistics
|49ERS (rank)||VIKINGS (rank)|
|14.8||Points per game||21.0|
|43.8||Punting Avg (Gross)||42.6|