Now that the Chip Kelly news is official, how about we actually talk about something other than just the new head coach? Everything revolves around Kelly to some extent, but I've been meaning to run this all week, so now is as good a time as any with the divisional round starting up on Saturday.
The San Francisco 49ers currently hold eight picks in the 2016 NFL Draft, and they could acquire as many as four compensatory picks on top of that. Comp picks will be announced at the March owners' meetings, and at that point we will know the specific slots for the 49ers draft picks. In the meantime, we know at least a few basics. We know the overall pick number for their first three picks, and the location in a given round for four more. The only specific location in a given round we do not know yet is the Denver Broncos sixth round pick acquired in the Vernon Davis trade. If the Broncos lose this weekend, it will be settled to between picks 25 and 28. If they win this weekend, it will be narrowed down to one of four spots between picks 29 and 32.
The 49ers will have the No. 7 pick in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft. However, because they finished tied with two other teams, they will rotate in the remaining rounds. That means they will have pick No. 6 in round two, pick No. 5 in round three, pick No. 7 in round four, and pick No. 6 in round five. The 49ers traded their sixth round pick as part of the Gerald Hodges trade, and traded their seventh round pick as part of the Vernon Davis trade.
1. First round: Own pick - No. 7
2. Second round: Own pick - No. 6 (37 overall - normally would be 38, but Patriots were stripped of first round pick))
3. Third round: Own pick - No. 5 (68 overall)
4. Fourth round: Own pick - No. 7 (overall for this and remaining picks depends on potential third round comp picks)
5. Fifth round: San Diego Chargers (2015 draft-day trade) - No. 3
6. Fifth round: Own pick - No. 6
7. Sixth round: Dallas Cowboys (2015 draft-day trade) - No. 3 - 49ers traded a sixth for Hodges. There is no word yet if it was their pick or this Cowboys pick
8. Sixth round: Denver Broncos (Vernon Davis trade) - Between No. 25 and No. 32, pending outcome of playoffs
Potential comp picks (via Over The Cap)
9. Fourth round: Mike Iupati
10. Fifth round: Perrish Cox
11. Sixth round: Dan Skuta
12. Sixth round: Frank Gore