The San Francisco 49ers close out their pre-bye schedule in Week 7 when they host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The game kicks off at 1:05 p.m. PT. It will air on FOX with Chris Myers and Ronde Barber calling the game in the booth, Jennifer Hale serving as the sideline reporter.
The 49ers head into this game 1-5, and are desperately searching for some optimism heading into their Week 8 bye. Colin Kaepernick will make his second start, with the team looking to see more consistency in the passing game. Football Outsiders ranks the Bucs passing defense No. 22. The Bills pass defense wasn’t significantly better, but it was sufficiently better that it would not surprise me if Kaepernick and the passing game are able to be more productive than last week.
The bigger issue of course is the 49ers run defense. Football Outsiders ranks them No. 28 against the run, and the team is tied for last giving up 5.0 yards per carry. They have given up a league high 1,046 yards. Teams are running all over the 49ers, and there is no reason to think it will end any time soon. Chip Kelly and Jim O’Neil have said we’ll see more of Gerald Hodges, and there have been intimations Shayne Skov could get some action as well. The Bucs may or may not have Doug Martin available to them this weekend, but Jacquizz Rodgers did enough in Week 5 to suggest he could run all over the 49ers defense.
The 49ers are a two-point underdog right now, and it is not surprising a ton of money is coming in on the Bucs. The Buccaneers are coming off a road win over the Carolina Panthers. Of course, given the Panthers subsequent loss last week in New Orleans, Carolina is not exactly looking like a good win. That being said, the 49ers are stumbling into this game, so money is going to keep coming in against them.
Series Record: 49ers lead series 17-5
49ers Home Record vs. Buccaneers: 49ers lead series 12-2
First Meeting: 10/30/77, 49ers win 20-10, at SF
Last Meeting: 12/15/13, 49ers win 33-14, at TB
Current Streak: Won 2
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 9 (12/4/83 – 10/23/94)
Longest Buccaneers Win Streak: 2 (8/31/97 – 1/12/03)
Most 49ers Points: 48 (10/9/11): 49ers win 48-3, at SF
Most Buccaneers Points: 35 (11/21/04): Buccaneers win 35-3, at TB
49ers Shutouts: None
S ANTOINE BETHEA
- Finished with 12 tackles and 1 INT vs. TB (10/7/07), intercepting Buccaneers QB Bruce Gradkowski and returning it 11-yards, as a member of the Indianapolis Colts.
LB AHMAD BROOKS
- As a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, registered the first start of his NFL career and notched 14 tackles and 1 PD at TB (10/15/06).
K PHIL DAWSON
- Registered a season-high 15 points on 4 of 4 FGs (47, 43, 21 and 35 yards) and 3 of 3 PATs in the 49ers 33-14 win at TB (12/15/13).
QB COLIN KAEPERNICK
- Completed 19 of 29 attempts (65.5 completion percentage) for 203 yards and two touchdowns while adding 42 rushing yards in the 49ers 33-14 win at TB (12/15/13).
WR TORREY SMITH
- As a member of the Baltimore Ravens ,recorded four receptions for 51 yards and two touchdowns at TB (10/12/14).