The 2016 NFL Draft gets going in just a few days, and NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock released his top 100 rankings. Mayock has released four versions of his positional rankings, but this is his first and only ranking of the top 100 overall prospects.
Mayock ranks quarterback Carson Wentz No. 1 on his list. He has had Wentz at the top of his QB rankings, so this is not all that surprising. He ranks Jared Goff No. 10, Paxton Lynch No. 20, Connor Cook No. 71, and Christian Hackenberg No. 100. His top ten overall players is as follows:
1. Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
2. Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State
3. Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
4. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
5. Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
6. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
7. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
8. Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
9. Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
10. Jared Goff, QB, Cal
Mayock has had Laremy Tunsil and Ronnie Stanley as his No. 1 and No. 2 offensive tackles throughout the offseason. This is his only top 100 ranking, so I don't know where he would have had Stanley throughout the process. Stanley has been getting more and more love lately, and I've even seen a couple mocks that suggested him over Tunsil. I think we see Tunsil go before Stanley, but it is clear that the pre-draft process exaggeration is peaking at just the right time.
Leonard Floyd is an intriguing one at No. 11. The outside linebacker is undersized, at 244 pounds, for the 49ers 3-4 defense, but an NFL nutrition and workout program could certainly help with that. Fittingly enough, Floyd's player comp at NFL.com is Eli Harold. If the 49ers want to add serious depth to their pass rush, he could certainly be a first round sleeper.
The draft is not going to in order of Mayock's big board, but it's still interesting to also look at some of the names in the 30s on his big board. Here are the players ranked No. 31 through 40. If the 49ers happened to draft one of these guys, who is the most likely candidate?
31. Vernon Butler, DE, Louisiana Tech
32. Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky
33. Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State
34. Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
35. Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
36. Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
37. Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
38. Nick Martin, OG, Notre Dame
39. Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
40. Kamalei Correa, LB, Boise State