The San Francisco 49ers started their 3 day mandatory minicamp after a few days break from OTAs. Again, it was very similar to OTAs but there were a few tweaks as the team progresses and learns the new system.
- Colin Kaepernick wore a helmet today and participated in a few team drills. During OTAs he wore a beanie and only threw the ball during position drills. He participated in 7-on-7s for the first time against the "bug men" (the trainers holding the screens) and cleared the screens on all of his passes. He worked with the 2s during practice.
- Ahmad Brooks was out on the field for the first time during the off season program during 11-on-11s. He was practicing with the 3s. During OTAs he was mostly on a side field but would come out onto the field during the teaching portions of the end of practice.
- After being down on the field with a leg injury during the last week of OTAs Dontae Johnson was back on the field but not during team drills. He did not have his helmet with him.
- It was a better day for WRs. There weren't nearly as many drops as last week but still a decent number of PBUs by the defense.
- Kenneth Acker had the only interception for the day on a pass from Kaepernick intended for Jerome Simpson. Both players had they hands on the ball but Acker won the contest.
- Torrey Smith had the only touchdown of the day on a long pass from Blaine Gabbert. Eric Reid and Eli Harold were on coverage and there was some discussion between the two on the missed assignment.
- Bruce Miller got some time in with the 1s in his new TE role. He was lined up in several different positions and made several receptions. He ran a deep route to the end zone but couldn't quite haul it in for a touchdown.
- Chip Kelly was having fun with his WRs throwing the ball around before during position drills. He also participated in a 5 QB 5 WR drill as one of the QBs.
- Joshua Garnett attended his first practice since rookie minicamp. He turned in his final paper at midnight last night but still has a quarter to go, which he will finish next year in the spring.
- DeAndre Smelter is still not participating in team drills but is doing warm ups with his position group.
- Trent Brown participated with the 1s on a few of the team drills. He also worked with the 2s.
- DeForest Buckner is getting in work with the 2s and the 3s.
- Bryce Treggs continues to impress. He had a great catch with pretty tight coverage by Corey Lemonier.
- The RBs caught a lot of passes. Carlos Hyde looked fast and healthy, while running and catching passes including a nice fingertip catch that he grabbed along the sideline.
- There was an Ian Williams sighting in the weight room following practice where we also saw the smoothies and protein shakes:
There were three varieties: 1. Fruit only shake with strawberries, peaches, pineapples orange juice and ice, 2. Chocolate protein shake with peanut butter, ice and chocolate protein powder, and 3. Fruit protein shake with strawberries, pineapples, ice and vanilla protein powder.
Minicamp continues Wednesday where we will have all of your coverage. 49ers PR staff just announced that Colin Kaepernick will speak to the media on Thursday, the final day of minicamp.