The San Francisco 49ers open training camp in three weeks, and there will be plenty of position competitions throughout the roster. I wanted to take a look at each notable competition heading into training camp, but first I figured it would help to compile a list.
Below, I’ve started compiling a list of positions where we figure to see some significant competition early in training camp. In the comments, you can add players to the given positions, and of course offer up your own position suggestions. There’s no rhyme or reason to the order of these positions.
- Quarterback - Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kaepernick
- Inside linebacker - Michael Wilhoite, Gerald Hodges, Ray-Ray Armstrong
- Third outside linebacker - Eli Harold, Tank Carradine, Corey Lemonier, Marcus Rush, Jason Fanaika (potentially also competition for 2nd OLB between Harold and Ahmad Brooks)
- Right tackle - Erik Pears, Trent Brown, John Theus, Fahn Cooper
- Swing tackle - Erik Pears, Trent Brown, John Theus, Fahn Cooper
- Swing interior lineman - Marcus Martin, Andrew Tiller, Brandon Thomas, Ian Silberman, Fahn Cooper
- 2nd wide receiver - Quinton Patton, Eric Rogers, DeAndre Smelter, Dres Anderson, Jerome Simpson
- Third outside cornerback - Dontae Johnson, Kenneth Acker, Rashard Robinson
- Slot corner - Chris Davis, Will Redmond, others (a little different than just “nickel” back - if Dontae Johnson or Rashard Robinson is the nickel back, we could see Jimmie Ward move inside. If Ward stays outside, someone else could end up as the slot guy)
- Backup running back - Shaun Draughn, DuJuan Harris, Mike Davis, Kelvin Taylor
- Starting tight ends - Bruce Miller, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Blake Bell
- Returner - Bruce Ellington, Bryce Treggs, DeAndrew White
- Reserve nose tackle (pending Ian Williams health) - Mike Purcell, Garrison Smith, Quinton Dial, Darren Lake