The San Francisco 49ers had a pretty awful Sunday afternoon. They fell behind the Seattle Seahawks 37-3, and ended up losing by a final score of 37-18. It’s hard to imagine any winners out of this game, but I think I came up with four options. And then one really big loser.
1. Carlos Hyde fantasy football owners: The 49ers managed a pair of garbage time touchdowns against Seattle. For basic football purposes, it’s nice to see Hyde get some numbers, but down 37-3, it’s hard to put too much into it. However, if you rolled out Hyde in your fantasy lineup, it was a huge fourth quarter. He finished with 103 rushing yards and two touchdowns, and a two-point conversion. For a standard league, that’s 24.3 points. Not too shabby!
2. Ahmad Brooks: The 49ers defense had a rough day, giving up 418 total yards. However, Brooks did some good work. He had a sack, two tackles for a loss, and a pass deflection that almost resulted in an interception.
3. Offensive line pass protection: The 49ers once again kept Blaine Gabbert on his feet. He was not sacked in 27 drop-backs, and was only pressured seven times.
4. People who want to see less of Blaine Gabbert: After the game, I said I don’t expect to see a QB change for at least two more games. That being said, Gabbert has set a baseline where if he does not improve soon, he will eventually get benched. It seems fairly inevitable at this point.
1. Just about everything else - NaVorro Bowman helped force a fumble, and Jeremy Kerley had a career high 20-yard punt returner. Other than that, there just wasn’t much else to be happy with on Sunday. Offense, defense, special teams, it didn’t matter. Everything went poorly for the 49ers. Even Phil Dawson missed a long field goal attempt. It was an absolutely disastrous showing for the 49ers.