The San Francisco 49ers surprised a lot of fans on Saturday when they decided to cut outside linebacker Marcus Rush. The 2015 UDFA signings spent last season on the practice squad, and then emerged in a big way this preseason. He had six sacks, two forced fumbles, and an interception.
Unfortunately for Rush, it was not enough to secure a roster spot. That being said, he seems to remain hungry for an opportunity. A good attitude will only get you so far, but it’s good to see he is motivated.
Signed with the 49ers! Will be ready when the opportunity is presented— Marcus Rush (@M_Rush44) September 4, 2016
Chip Kelly told the media on Saturday that the team wanted to keep eight linebackers, and were unable to keep the fourth outside linebacker. Instead, they kept three potential starting inside linebackers in Gerald Hodges, Ray-Ray Armstrong, and Michael Wilhoite. The team has not announced a starter next to NaVorro Bowman, so it is hard to tell how that competition has shaken out.
The 49ers will have some decisions to make in the coming weeks. They will need to clear space for Aaron Lynch after Week 4. Will they simply release one of their inside linebackers at that point? It seems impractical to carry a fifth inside linebacker all season long. Would that all potentially mean Rush is sticking on the practice squad (or signing with another team) all season?