The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the finalists for the 2017 induction class. They announced 15 players, and that number will be cut to no more than five during a vote held the weekend of the Super Bowl.
Former San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Terrell Owens is among the finalists for the second straight year. He came up short in the final voting a year ago, and he was not remotely pleased. He’s had a contentious relationship with the media in the past, and it would not surprise me if that costs him some votes for the time being. There is no doubting TO’s numbers, but relationships and personalities do factor into these things.
This year’s finalists include three first-time candidates: RB Ladanian Tomlinson, DE Jason Taylor, and DB Brian Dawkins. OT Tony Boselli, WR Isaac Bruce, CB Ty Law, and OG Kevin Mawae are all first-time finalists.
Here is a full rundown of the finalists.
- Morten Andersen, kicker – 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings
- Tony Boselli, tackle – 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars
- Isaac Bruce, wide receiver – 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers
- Don Coryell, coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
- Terrell Davis, running back – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
- Brian Dawkins, safety – 1996-2008 Philadelphia Eagles, 2009-2011 Denver Broncos
- Alan Faneca, guard – 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals
- Joe Jacoby, tackle – 1981-1993 Washington Redskins
- Ty Law, cornerback – 1995-2004 New England Patriots, 2005, 2008 New York Jets, 2006-07 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009 Denver Broncos
- John Lynch, free safety – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
- Kevin Mawae, center/guard – 1994-97 Seattle Seahawks, 1998-2005 New York Jets, 2006-09 Tennessee Titans
- Terrell Owens, wide receiver – 1996-2003 San Francisco 49ers, 2004-05 Philadelphia Eagles, 2006-08 Dallas Cowboys, 2009 Buffalo Bills, 2010 Cincinnati Bengals
- Jason Taylor, defensive end – 1997-2007, 2009, 2011 Miami Dolphins, 2008 Washington Redskins, 2010 New York Jets
- LaDainian Tomlinson, running back – 2001-09 San Diego Chargers, 2010-11 New York Jets
- Kurt Warner, quarterback – 1998-2003 St. Louis Rams, 2004 New York Giants, 2005-09 Arizona Cardinals