The San Francisco 49ers have a new regime in place and as a result have the opportunity to conduct an additional minicamp early in the offseason program. It is a voluntary veteran minicamp that must be held before the draft, and in the first few weeks of the offseason program. Just like Phase One of the offseason, the 49ers had 100 percent attendance for the minicamp.
Unlike Phase One, offense vs. defense drills are allowed as well as kicking team vs. receiving team drills. Players are wearing helmets but no pads.
There were a few players who did not suit up due to injuries:
- WR Eric Rogers
- WR Bruce Ellington
- RB Raheem Mostert
- LB Eli Harold
- OL Jeremy Zuttah
- TE Je’Ron Hamm
- TE Blake Bell
There were three players at the minicamp on a try out basis:
- CB Steve Williams in his 4th season, from Cal, has played for Chargers and Rams
- OL Tim Barnes in his 6th season, from Missouri, drafted by Ravens, played for Rams
- OL Kitt O’Brien in his 2nd season, from Ball State, played in Arena League before playing on the Colts practice squad
A few notes from the team drills:
- FB/OW Kyle Juszczyk was targeted quite a bit. He lined up in the back field several times.
- Longest completion of the day was QB Matt Barkley to DeAndre Carter deep to the left side of the field. He was being covered by the auditioning CB Steve Williams .
- Best interception of the day was made by CB Rashard Robinson after TE Garrett Celek’s feet got a little tangled up down the left side.
- NaVorro Bowman looked agile and was a full participant in team drills.
- Jimmie Ward lined as the single high safety while Eric Reid played in the box with the first team defense.
- Carlos Hyde and Tim Hightower dominated ball carrying duties while Mike Davis and DuJuan Harris also participated.
- Punt returning duties were split between Jeremy Kerley, DeAndre Carter, and Rashad Ross
- Offensive line for the 1s was consistent for Joe Staley at LT, Daniel Kilgore at C and Joshua Garnett at RG.