On this week’s episode of the Better Rivals podcast, Scheme Month turns its attention to an oft neglected portion of the roster: the offensive line. What are the differences between zone, gap, and man run schemes? How can you identify them when you’re watching games this fall? How do offensive linemen go about determining who to block in pass protections? And what does the change in offensive scheme mean for the 49ers’ offensive line? All that, plus Camp Hoyer, DeAngelo Williams hating on the Cowboys, and #ILikeDat.
- Smart Football: What are the basic principles of dropback pass protection?
- Duo/Double: The Best Play in Football
- Football 101: Why Power Running Works
- Alex Gibbs, the godfather of the modern zone blocking scheme
- PFF: Best offensive line units by run concept from 2016
- SI Vault: Back to the Future with the Single Wing