The San Francisco 49ers lost Jimmy Garoppolo to a torn ACL on Sunday, but the injury report went well beyond that. Richard Sherman, Matt Breida, and Adrian Colbert were among those who suffered injuries during the Week 3 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. On Monday afternoon, head coach Kyle Shanahan offered an update on players injured in Week3, as well as the status of previously injured players
- QB Jimmy Garoppolo: Torn ACL — out for the year, although one slightly bit of good news is that Shanahan believes it is a straight ACL tear and not multiple ligaments. The surgery in a week or two will reveal more.
- CB Richard Sherman: Calf strain — out a couple weeks (reported as 2-3 by Jordan Schultz)
- S Adrian Colbert: Hip — re-check on Wednesday
- RB Matt Breida: Hyperextended knee & calf soreness — returned to game, but questionable for Week 4
- OG Mike Person: Knee sprain — returned to game, probably questionable for Week 4
- RB Alfred Morris: Ankle injury — returned to game, will re-check on Wednesday, but “expect him to be alright.”
- OG Joshua Garnett: Dislocated toe still an issue — “I’d be surprised if we got him back this week.”
- S Jaquiski Tartt: Shoulder stinger still an issue — re-check on Wednesday
- WR Marquise Goodwin: Made it through the game after returning from Week 1 quad injury — “I expect him to be alright.”
If Mike Person is unable to go against the Los Angeles Chargers and Joshua Garnett probably won’t be available, I think we would see Erik Magnuson get the start. He was active for the first time this season, and was in place over Najee Toran. Magnuson replaced Person when the latter injured his knee, which suggests he is next man up at right guard.
Breida has 274 rushing yards on the season, which is tied with Ezekiel Elliott for the league lead. More importantly, he is averaging 8.6 yards per carry, which also leads the league among qualified running backs. Chargers running back Austin Ekeler is second at 8.2 yards per carry, and Phillip Lindsay is third at 6.0 yards per carry. Fingers crossed the 49ers can have him available this weekend as the running game will be critical for supporting C.J. Beathard.