Normally, the last game of the regular season marks the start of mock draft season for us 49er fans, but this year, 49er football will continue into the postseason and there’s just no need to pay attention to mock drafts yet. So in honor of seasons past, I decided to take a look at who was mocked to us this time last year. Todd McShay, who had us taking Ohio State RB, J.K. Dobbins in his mock draft from last week, had Nick Bosa going to the Arizona Cardinals at 1. At 2, he had us taking then Michigan DE, Rashan Gary, who ended up going to the Green Bay Packers at 12. Here’s what he had to say about the pick:
The Niners are seeking an edge rusher -- among other things -- and Gary provides explosive closing burst and elite athleticism. He’s a nightmare to block and would provide a jolt to San Francisco’s defensive line.
Gary has 2 sacks and 21 tackles on the year. He is sitting behind a couple Smiths that have been terrorizing opposing offensive lines, but before Ronald Blair (our 3rd pass rusher) went down to injury in week 10, he had 3 sacks and 14 tackles. Gary just hasn’t performed up to his pre-draft hype. Lucky for us, the Cardinals passed on Bosa and we never had to potentially suffer through Gary’s rookie season.
Who was your draft crush from last year? How have they performed in their rookie season? Personally, I was a big fan of Josh Allen, and I’m glad to see I wasn’t wrong about him as he’s the only guy close to pressuring Bosa for Defensive Rookie of the Year.
On to those links...
- 49ers’ defensive line delivers a special Christmas for Bay Area kids (Nick Wagoner, ESPN)
- Marshawn Lynch Getting No Love From Bookies As 49ers-Seahawks Odds Remain Unchanged (Zack Jones, Forbes)
- Tennessee man wanted in bar stabbings that killed 2, including 49ers QB’s brother, arrested (Talia Kaplan, Fox News)
- 49ers-Seahawks injury reports: Dee Ford only SF player unavailable (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- Pete Carroll says Seahawks have different approach vs. George Kittle (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- 49ers locked in to win somewhere they have not won in years (Sasha D. Robinson, 49ers Webzone)
Around the league...
- 2020 NFL Mock Draft: Patriots draft Justin Herbert, Jordan Love goes in top 10 to Chargers (Chris Trapasso, CBS Sports)
- Will Antonio Brown ever return to the pros? Inside his complicated NFL legacy (Jeremy Fowler, ESPN)
- NFL Week 17 odds, picks: Eagles win NFC East, Titans clinch playoff berth, Seahawks upset 49ers (Cody Benjamin, CBS Sports)
- NFL 2010s All-Decade Team: Tom Brady, J.J. Watt earn spots (Chris Wesseling, NFL.com)
- NFL’s most disappointing team in 2019? Browns, Rams, Chargers flopped (NFL.com)
... I have spoken