The 49ers are a great team. Unfortunately, bad teams tend to poach coaches from good teams. There are mixed reports about what is going on with the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff, but Washington, Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, and New York Giants are looking for whole new staffs; with the Jacksonville Jaguars expected to join them soon and the Miami Dolphins looking for a new Offensive Coordinator.
Robert Saleh is getting a lot of talk as a Head Coach candidate and Senior Personnel Executive Martin Mayhew is getting looked at as a potential GM, but the coaches I’m more worried about leaving are Passing Game Coordinator Mike LaFleur and Run Game Coordinator Mike McDaniel. Shanahan may be an offensive genius and calls the plays on game days, but as Head Coach his attention is divided during the week and he leans on both those guys to help with the game plan. Last season, Shanahan stopped the LaFleur brothers from reuniting in Green bay, saying it was more of a lateral move than a promotion, but let Rich Scangarello go to Denver to work under the defensive minded Vic Fangio. If Saleh gets hired as a HC and wants one of them as OC, I doubt Shanahan stops it from happening. Same thing if Washington (as they’re expected to hire the defensive minded Ron Rivera) or Miami comes calling.
If Saleh leaves, the question then becomes: Who replaces him? I don’t know if I remember correctly (as I can’t find any links) but I think Kris Kocurek said he prefers to stay as a position coach. That leaves Joe Woods as the most popular in house candidate. As far as external hires, I like the idea of the maybe unemployed Kris Richard, who earned his chops in the same system as Saleh. He also has plenty experience with play calling as he’s often credited with the success of Dallas’ defense from seasons past. Wade Phillips is expected to part ways with the Los Angeles Rams, and he would be a fantastic hire but would come with a scheme change and shuffling of defensive personnel. One thing I’m hoping for is the Los Angeles Chargers to clean house. Nothing against Anthony Lynn, who is well respected as a coach, but they had a bad season and his dismissal would most likely include a freeing of one Gus Bradley. It was well advertised that Bradley was Shanahan’s first choice at DC when he got hired here, and he has done good things with the Chargers. Who do you think the 49ers should take a look at if Saleh leaves?
On to those links...
- Head-coaching candidate Robert Saleh will make use of 49ers’ bye week (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- Rapoport, Sherman say no controversy with no-PI decision late in 49ers-Seahawks game (David Bonilla, 49ers Webzone)
- Why analyst says NFL officials ‘failed’ Seahawks on pass interference non-call (Alex Didion, NBC Sports)
- Transcript: Kyle Shanahan discusses 49ers-Seahawks, Jimmy Garoppolo, Witherspoon vs. Moseley, Deebo Samuel, Kwon Alexander (49ers Webzone)
- 5 takeaways from 49ers’ wild 26-21 victory in Seattle (Kyle Madson, Niners Wire)
- Pro Football Focus grades 49ers’ George Kittle as best tight end ever (Alex Didion, NBC Sports)
- 49ers’ No. 1 seed more important to George Kittle than stats, honors (Jennifer Lee Chan, NBC Sports)
- 49ers sit at No. 3 in final NFL Wire power rankings (Kyle Madson, Niners Wire)
- 49ers hope to have Dee Ford, Jaquiski Tartt for first NFL playoff game (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- 49ers snap count: Emmanuel Moseley replaces Ahkello Witherspoon late (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- Everything You Need to Know From 49ers Wild Finish in Seattle (49ers.com)
Around the league...
- NFL coaching tracker: Latest news, developments (NFL.com)
- FMIA Week 17: 49ers’ Thrilling Win vs. Seahawks Sets Table for NFL Playoffs (Peter King, Pro Football Talk)
- Source: Cowboys’ Jerry Jones to meet with Jason Garrett again Tuesday (Todd Archer, ESPN)
- NFL playoff schedule 2020: Dates, times, TV channel, streaming info for every round of AFC, NFC postseason (John Breech, CBS Sports)
- Five big questions for the 2019 NFL playoffs (Dan Graziano, ESPN)
- Matt Rhule’s Most Likely NFL Landing Spot, Josh McDaniels’s Coaching Plan, More Black Monday Notes (Albert Breer, Sports Illustrated)
- Dolphins CB Xavien Howard charged with domestic battery (Cameron Wolfe, ESPN)
- Arians: We can win with QB other than Jameis Winston (Nick Shook, NFL.com)
- 2020 NFL mock draft: 3-round projections for the new year (Luke Easterling, Draft Wire)
... I have spoken