Kyle Shanahan and his staff got an extended look at Samuel during the 2019 Senior Bowl, a game that made him one of the top wide receivers in this draft. He’s not the tallest, coming in at 5 feet, 11 inches and 215 pounds, but he is very fast and with that speed he can get some separation in Kyle Shanahan’s offense. He also holds the SEC kick return touchdown record with four. He does come with some minor injury concerns, having a fractured fibula in 2017 and working through a hamstring injury in 2016. His college career finished with 2076 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns.
The 49ers wide receivers may be underrated, but the production was not close to what they would want if they were to get in the championship hunt. They decided to not pick up Pierre Garçon’s 2019 option and also signed Jordan Matthews in free agency. Dante Pettis is hitting his second season and Kendrick Bourne could be on the chopping block going into his third year. Can this be the final piece to the wide receiver puzzle? We’ll find out as the season goes on.
49ers draft picks
1. First round: No. 2 overall Nick Bosa, Edge rusher, Ohio State
2. Second round: No. 4 (36 overall) Deebo Samuel, Wide receiver, South Carolina
3. Third round: No. 3 (67 overall)
4. Fourth round: No. 2 (104 overall)
5. Sixth round: No. 3 (176 overall)
6. Sixth round: No. 30 (212 overall)