The NFLPA released its top 50 merchandise sales from March 1, 2018 through February 28, 2019. This is everything from jerseys, collectible figurines, Fathead, you name it. In a surprise to nobody, offense sells. The Los Angeles Rams have the best player in the NFL in Aaron Donald. That’s pretty much a universal thought. On this list Donald was No. 50. Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen is No. 48 on the list. Running back James Conner is No. 44 on the list. That’s so silly to me. Surprising, but it shouldn’t be.
San Francisco QB Jimmy Garoppolo coming in at No. 23 on the list speaks to his popularity. Playing in only three games during that stretch, you have to wonder where Jimmy G would be on this list had he played all 16 games in 2018. Flirting with the top 10 is what I would guess. Speaking of, here’s a look at who was in the top 10.
1. QB Tom Brady, New England Patriots
2. QB Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
3. QB Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles
4. RB Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys
5. QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs
6. RB Saquon Barkley, New York Giants
7. QB Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
8. QB Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans
9. LB Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears
10. QB Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
No real surprises. The NFC East is king in terms of popularity for the NFL. Offense and quarterbacks dominating this list was always going to happen, too. That’s what the NFL advertises. Mack was one of the more noteworthy trades in recent memory. The Bears being one of the best defenses in the NFL surely helped.
Garoppolo was the lone 49er on this list. How the list changes over the next calendar year might be something worth tracking. It will be tough for one of the defensive guys to crack the list, but winning could change that.