Adrian Colbert was the future of the 49ers safety position. Now his future lies elsewhere. Per Matt Barrows, the 49ers are cutting Colbert as part of their move to a 53-man roster.
Colbert had an impressive and inspiring rookie season in 2017 but since then has battled injuries. In the fourth preseason game this year, he dealt with a hamstring injury putting him on the sidelines. Given that he’s injured, Matt Maiocco makes a good point that the 49ers could come with an injury settlement.
Because he has less than four years of service, Colbert will be subject to the waiver wire process. It has been said no matter what happens, the Colbert will be out for an extended amount of time from the injury suffered Thursday night.
Behind Jimmie Ward, the 49ers have Tarvarius Moore and Antone Exum Jr. listed at free safety on the depth chart. Moore was said to be making the decision for starter difficult and one has to think moving Moore to free safety from cornerback didn’t help Colbert’s chances.
Colbert was somewhat of a fan favorite on Twitter and mic’d up segments where his personality would show. You couldn’t help but root for the guy, but a decision had to be made.