John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan have done a fantastic job building this roster up over the past three seasons. 1st round picks Nick Bosa and Mike McGlinchey, along with the trade acquisitions of Jimmy Garoppolo and Dee Ford have clearly been key moves during their regime, but I contend that it’s their success towards the end of the draft that have the 49ers on the verge of a Super Bowl.
2019 brought us 5th round rookie, Dre Greenlaw, who played the game of his life against the Minnesota Vikings. He’s steadily gotten better over the course of the season and looks to be the steal of this last draft. The fact that he also happens to be a Seattle Seahawks killer is icing on the cake.
Rookie Dre Greenlaw had one of his best games with the #49ers with one forced fumble and only 26 receiving yards on six targets.— PFF SF 49ers (@PFF_49ers) January 13, 2020
His 91.2 overall grade was second to fellow rookie Nick Bosa. pic.twitter.com/6BenmiyVwy
The end of the 2017 draft brought us the best TE in football in George Kittle along with his fellow 5th round pick Trent Taylor (who looks to be a significant contributor if he can ever get healthy), and 6th round pick D.J. Jones. That year also brought us UDFAs Nick Mullens, Matt Breida, and Kendrick Bourne. 2018 brought us 7th round picks Jullian Taylor, a nice rotational piece along the DL, and the talented return man, Richie James Jr. The UDFAs from 2018 include Ross Dwelley, Jeff Wilson Jr, and Emmanuel Moseley (who should be a starting CB moving forward).
I brought up the great work this coaching staff has done in a previous “Golden Nuggets” but it’s time to give credit to the scouting department. They have uncovered so many hidden gems, that our lack of early round picks in the next draft doesn’t really worry me. Are there any late round prospects that have caught your eye in the upcoming draft?
On to those links...
- 49ers’ Kyle Shanahan best coach left in NFL playoffs, Nick Wright says (Alex Didion, NBC Sports)
- Trent Taylor hopeful to be ready for spring workouts for 49ers (Curtis Crabtree, Pro Football Talk)
- Packers will take fine-tooth comb to loss vs. 49ers, Matt LaFleur says (Rob Demovsky, ESPN)
- How Ahkello Witherspoon exemplifies 49ers’ tight-knit bond this season (Jennifer Lee Chan, NBC Sports)
- 49ers enter NFC Championship Game vs. Packers with no new injuries (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- 10 Standouts from 49ers Divisional Round Win over Vikings (49ers.com)
- 49ers’ Kyle Shanahan defends Nick Bosa from ‘cheap shot’ allegations (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- 49ers’ George Kittle, Richard Sherman take home 2019 PFWA honors (Josh Schrock, NBC Sports)
- Chiefs return as Super Bowl favorites with 49ers close second (David Purdum, ESPN)
- Kyle Shanahan Doubles Down on Family First Attitude in 49ers Locker Room (Keiana Martin, 49ers.com)
- 49ers, Titans advancing to Super Bowl LIV would hurt Vegas sportsbooks (Alex Didion, NBC Sports)
Around the league...
- FMIA Divisional: Aaron Rodgers, Packers Aren’t Finished, Derrick Henry Can’t Be Stopped, and more (Peter King, Pro Football Talk)
- How to survive in the NFL playoffs: How the Ravens failed and the Chiefs came back (Bill Barnwell, ESPN)
- 2020 NFL mock draft: 4-round projections after divisional playoffs (Luke Easterling, Draft Wire)
- Winners and Losers of the NFL Head Coaching Carousel (Conor Orr, Sports Illustrated)
- Fritz Pollard Alliance strongly urges NFL to boost ‘abysmal’ minority hiring record (Kevin Seifert, ESPN)
- 2020 East-West Shrine Bowl: Standouts from Day 1 of practice (Andy Fenelon, NFL.com)
- Marshawn Lynch shares message to NFL players after what may have been his final game (Jeff Kerr, CBS Sports)
... I have spoken