The 2019 season is over, so now it’s time to look ahead to next season. With the lack of draft picks and cap space, the 49ers have to be very careful as to how they spend their resources. I have spoken about the pending free agents in a past “Golden Nuggets,” and I still believe that keeping Arik Armstead is key, even if it costs us the reliable tackling of Jimmie Ward. The front four was the biggest reason for the 49ers’ success this season, in my opinion, and keeping them together has got to be a priority. Not to mention the fact that Tarvarius Moore logged some solid minutes in the Super Bowl and should be even better with a whole offseason at safety.
With that said, I think it’s far more important for the 49ers to find an upgrade along the interior of the offensive line. Mike Person chose the worst time to have his worst game of the season, Laken Tomlinson is merely average, and Weston Richburg has gotten injured each of the two seasons he’s been with us. Say what you want about Jimmy Garoppolo, but he wasn’t getting much help with Chris Jones wrecking the pocket. CB may also be a need. Richard Sherman is aging and Ahkello Witherspoon has been too inconsistant, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them draft a guy early (or as early as you can with no day 2 picks).
What are your thoughts on the roster? How can the 49ers realistically get better this offseason?
On to those links...
George Kittle’s conviction in the face of defeat should become a rallying cry for the #49ers moving forward.— Rob Lowder (@Rob_Lowder) February 6, 2020
I will be back here.
I will be back here and I will be back with a vengeance.
You will not get the best of me. No sir.
( : @NFLFilms)pic.twitter.com/PfvqtkXRiW
- Arik Armstead open to 49ers using franchise tag on him, wants to stay (Jennifer Lee Chan, NBC Sports)
- 49ers’ Jerick McKinnon ‘willing to do whatever’ to remain with team that he has yet to play for (Jordan Dajani, CBS Sports)
- 49ers Sign 14 Free Agents (49ers.com)
- 49ers review Super Bowl loss, hope to learn from lessons (Nick Wagoner, ESPN)
- Jimmy Garoppolo, Emmanuel Sanders open up about 49ers’ Super Bowl loss and how to move forward (Bryan DeArdo, CBS Sports)
- 49ers’ Raheem Mostert offers to return Damien Williams’ Super Bowl jersey (Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports)
- Jerry Rice tears into Super Bowl LIV refs, calls against 49ers: ‘Are you serious?’ (Eric Ting, SFGate)
- Good Morning Football debates whether or not the 49ers can repeat as NFC West champs (David Bonilla, 49ers Webzone)
- 49ers Announce 2019 Team Awards (49ers.com)
Around the league...
- Sources: NFL player representatives, leadership to meet in Los Angeles (Dan Graziano, ESPN)
- NFL Free Agency: 10 teams with the most salary cap space heading into 2020 offseason (Josh Edwards, CBS Sports)
- Lessons Learned From the 2019 NFL Season (Albert Breer, Sports Illustrated)
- Agent’s Take: 2020 NFL offseason dates to know for free agency, contract options, franchise tags and more (Joel Corry, CBS Sports)
- Offseason predictions for all 32 NFL teams: Gurley trade, QBs on move (ESPN)
- 2020 NFL Mock Draft: Tua Tagovailoa falls to Chargers as five QBs go in top 15, Patriots add to defense (Chris Trapasso, CBS Sports)
- XFL rules: Explaining all the rule differences between the XFL and NFL (Nick Schwartz, For The Win)
... I have spoken