Along with the rest of the NFL teams, the San Francisco 49ers found their full 2021 schedule on Wednesday.
The Niners will begin the season against old-friend Jared Goff and the Detroit Lions in the Motor City. The Lions hired the intense Dan Campbell as their new head coach this offseason but aren’t projected to be among the NFC playoff contenders.
Here is the 49ers’ full 2021 schedule:
Week 1: @ Lions (10:00 a.m.)
Week 2: @ Philadelphia Eagles (10:00 a.m)
Week 3: vs. Green Bay Packers (5:20 p.m. - SNF)
Week 4: vs. Seattle Seahawks (1:05 p.m.)
Week 5: @ Arizona Cardinals (1:25 p.m.)
Week 6: BYE
Week 7: vs. Indianapolis Colts (5:20 p.m. - SNF)
Week 8: @ Chicago Bears (10 a.m.)
Week 9: vs. Cardinals (1:05 p.m.)
Week 10: vs. Los Angeles Rams (5:15 p.m. - MNF)
Week 11: @ Jacksonville Jaguars (10:00 a.m.)
Week 12: vs. Minnesota Vikings (1:25 p.m.)
Week 13:@ Seahawks (5:20 p.m. - SNF)
Week 14: @ Cincinnati Bengals (10:00 a.m.)
Week 15: vs. Atlanta Falcons (1:05 p.m.)
Week 16: @ Tennessee Titans (5:20 p.m. - TNF)
Week 17: vs. Houston Texans (1:05 p.m.)
Week 18: @ Rams (1:25 p.m.)
Some notes from the schedule:
- According to the Vegas projected win totals, the 49ers have the easiest schedule in the NFL. The NFL Network says the Niners have the 12th-easiest schedule, based on their 2021 opponents’ records last season.
- San Francisco is one of 10 NFL teams to have the maximum of five primetime matchups.
- The Niners have five 10 a.m. PT games. (Arizona also plays five, L.A. will play four, Seattle has the least out of any NFC West team with two.)
- The 49ers will not play any team which is coming off a bye in 2021. But the Cardinals will have a mini-bye in Week 9. Arizona hosts Green Bay on Thursday Night Football in Week 8. The Niners are scheduled to play two teams coming off a short week. The Packers play on Monday Night Football in Week 2. The Seahawks play on MNF in Week 12, before visiting the 49ers the following Sunday.
- San Francisco is one of four teams in the league (ATL, NO, NYJ are the others) to have the earliest BYE of the season, which comes in Week 6.
- The Niners have two short weeks.
- The 49ers will not play more than two consecutive games against teams that made it to the playoffs last season.
Overall, it is a fairly balanced schedule. San Francisco gets to play two of its five early games over the first two weeks, meaning we could see the team spend a week in Youngstown, Ohio, early in the season.
The toughest stretch of the schedule comes from Week 3 through Week 7. All four of their opponents during that run are considered legitimate playoff contenders going into next season.
What is your game-by-game prediction for the 49ers next season, and what is your projection for their 2021 record? What do you think is the easiest part of the schedule?
Let us know in the comments below.